Monday, June 25, 2007

Togo--post 2

Hello Loved Ones!

Boy it has been a week, but we are having a wonderful time here. We can't believe it's already been a week. That's more sad than exciting to us. Yesterday we took a long hour and 45 minute hike into the jungle to a waterfall. You would think that that would be scary with all the talk about snakes before we came, but it was really so pleasant. It was like walking through the scene of a movie. There were tall, beautiful banana trees, coffee trees, pineapples, pistachios, and one fruit that was as big as a basket ball, but I can't remember what it was called (calabash). Anyway we also tried raw cocoa. Mmm, it's soo good! There are trees loaded with mangos that look like they're decorated for Easter. Oh, and we even found an avocado tree. We tried to get one down, but we couldn't. I sure would have loved to have some fresh avocado right off the tree. When we got to the waterfall, Ryan and some youth here on a short term missions trip slid down the waterfall into the pool below. We took video so that you can see what it's like when we get back.

Tomorrow we are headed up to Northern Togo to a town called Mango where we will see where they want to build the second hospital. There is already an airstrip there. We are looking forward to seeing what the future may hold for the ministry here in Togo. By the way, there is a definite need for pilots here. We are feeling the pull. We only wish we could just stay here now. The thought not coming back here for a few years is heart wrenching. I say that not knowing what the Lord has for us, but quite confident that we, or Ryan I should say, is needed here.

As for "my" ministry, I was supposed to meet with someone tomorrow to teach them some sign language so that they could talk to their deaf friend, but will have to post pone our meeting due to our sudden trip to Mango. I would be using an interpreter in order to teach this young man sign. That should be interesting right? And wouldn't you know I forgot to bring my sign language dictionary. Shucks! I'll do my best without it. I've also been feeling a pull in another direction, but will wait a while longer to share that with you. I never know if my ''ideas" are put there by the Lord or just my emotional responses to my experiences here.

In any case, thank you for your prayers for us. You are very special to us.
Stephanie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, thanks for the post. I enjoy hearing about your experiences.

God Made Playdough said...

Amazing! I want some avacado from the tree! We are praying for you (the whole church is!).

Kerry said...

I'm a little bit jealous that you're still where you want to be and I'm back here. Boo.

But I'm also really excited for you both...thanks for the updates.