Thursday, June 21, 2007

Togo--post 1

Hello Friends! There is so much to share with you about what has been going on since we have been here. We arrived here in Togo on Monday afternoon. That day was crazy cool! We experienced so much in one day. We traveled from Ghana to Togo in a van through narrow paved and dirt roads. Everywhere we looked, EVERYWHERE, there were people. Just when we thought we were in the wilderness and wouldn't see another person, lo and behold, we would see another person standing in the tall, tall grass. The people are so friendly. When we waved at people they get big, beautiful African smiles on their faces and wave vigorously back at us.

Yes, they do live in huts and yes, they do carry most things on their heads. The way they do it is incredible! They neatly stack whatever it is they need to carry on a large plate or bowl and two people help as they place the plate/bowl on their head. They also carry firewood, tables, you name it without using their hands. I tried it today when we walked quite a ways from where we are staying to the hangar where Ryan is working on the airplane. I carried a box of aircraft parts on my head, but I used my hands. It really was a good idea. I didn't have the discomfort of having to shift it from hip to hip and it helped with my posture.

Ryan, Lois, and Dale Fogg have been assessing the condition of the airplane. Unfortunately, it is in worse condition than we would have hoped for. However, the facilities and ministry opportunities are perfect for missionary aviation here in Togo. For the last couple of days I have gone to the hanger with the aviators to help them as best I can. On Saturday, I will have my own job as the guest house hostess. At the hangar today, we played with the nationals who like to peek through the windows and cracks at us. We found some sidewalk chalk and drew pictures with them on the hangar floor. We also tried to communicate. They taught me a little bit of French and I taught them a little bit of sign. Sign is easy for them to catch on to in case I forget how to pronounce a word in French.

Oh, I can't forget to tell you that we've had the opportunity to witness a C-section of twins! Ryan got the whole thing on video. We never would have thought that we would witness a c-section on our first day in Africa. As I'm sure you can tell, our first day in Africa was AMAZING! Ryan, Lois and I just looked at each other all shocked at the end of the day (Monday). Seriously, we were all speechless and awe stricken.

These last two days have been more mellow, but we look forward to a trip up to northern Togo very soon where we will see where the new hospital will be built. It will be near an airstrip that is already available.

I wish I could tell more,... no, I wish you could come here and see for yourself, but I can only fit so much at time. Until next time!

(Rachael, someone just walked in with Settlers! Must be going now. Au revoir!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie! I have been checking this daily to read about how you are doing. I was excited to get to read about your time in Togo. It sounds amazing! Yeah! :)

God Made Playdough said...

Wow! I can't wait to see all your pictures! We're praying for you!

joeandmel said...

whats up peeps,i'm excited to hear that everything is going well so far. your kids have been asking alot of questions about you guys and you make their prayer request list nightly. i hope the rest of your trip continues to go well, i'm sure the Lord will continue to bless you. we are looking forward to coming to visit you guys once your permanent ( vacations ), take care, our prayers are with you. remember 2cor.5:20. ryan you've got some ted's coming when you get back......love joe, mel, and the quad squad.