Friday, June 1, 2007

John Paton

In the early 1800's, John Paton knew the Lord was calling him to the New Hebrides. However, he was already a successful pastor to a growing church ministry in Scotland. Many people tried to convince him not to go, but this only confirmed in his heart more that the Lord wanted him there.

One gentleman protested, "The Cannibals! you will be eaten by Cannibals!" to which Paton simply replied, "Mr. Dickson, you are advanced in years now, and your own prospect is so to be laid in the grave, there to be eaten by worms: I confess to you, that if I can but live and die serving and honouring the Lord Jesus, it will make no diffence to me whether I am eaten by Cannibals or by worms; and in the Great Day my resurrection body will arise as fair as yours in the likeness of our risen Redeemer."
Quote taken from John Paton's autobiography, John G. Paton; missionary to the New Hebrides.

Mmm, mmm, mmm. That's why missionaries are my heros!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

For real...I'm gonna' die someday, why not do it taking Jesus to somebody, you know?

God Made Playdough said...

Wow! That's a great quote! Do you mind if I steal it? Oh to have that kind of perspective!

Ryan and Stephanie said...

No problem. Enjoy. Everyone should be able to enjoy great quotes like these.

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Oh to have a "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain" perspective like he did!