Here's a little lesson about the culture of ASL. ASL is an official recognized language. It is not in any way mime. ASL has many distinct words and its own sentence structure. This is very important for people to recognize in order for a person to learn the language. (Sorry, this is all kind of just my soap box, but I know that the deaf community would echo what I say here)
I will meet with Dorcas again on Thursday. Please pray that I will know the right things to teach her and her family with the short amount of time that we have together. I think her mother, Abra, is frustrated and discouraged. She was asking today about the possibility of getting Dorcas' hearing back. The truth is, the only way to do that is with a cochlear implant and I know that her family could never afford that, and the doctors here do not know how to do it. Your prayers for wisdom would be much appreciated!
Dale Fogg of ABWE came out with us for the first three weeks of this trip. During his time here he gave us a basic understanding of what missionary aviation in Togo would look like. There is an airstrip here at the hospital compound that is in excellent shape. There is also a large hangar that could probably hold four or five Cessna 206's. Unfortunately, many
the states. The body of the airplane is flyable, though there will need to be some work done on that at some point. The engine is "pickled"; meaning, it is basically filled with oil to preserve it while it is out of use. Unfortunately, here in Togo it is very humid and things like rubber hoses and interior deteriorate much faster than they would in the states. However, Dale says that the airplane is in excellent condition for the amount of time that it has sat with no one to care for it.
In order to get this aviation ministry off the ground, it needs pilot-mechanics here. Right now, the aviation ministry does not have a voice in the overall Togo mission. Truly, we can't blame anyone for that. Dale has said that once a pilot moves out here it would take less than a year to see the plane doing the work it is meant to do. The Fuss family has been appointed to come here, but they have been having a difficult time trying to raise support out of Michigan. Apparently, Michigan is considered "dried up" as far as ministry funds are concerned. Once Dale went back to the states last Thursday, so once again the airplane is sitting in the preserved state. Ryan and Lois and I have been allowed to explore other ministry aspects since then, and we will continue to do so for the remainder of our time here.
Babies are the one thing that I truly enjoy seeing in the hospital. Even the babies, though, I can't stay around long, because the mother with an incision is usually very close by and I can usually see the bandages and catheter. Also, all of the female patients are in one large room with several beds so you may see patients with several different illnesses all in the same room. It is also very hot and muggy in the hospital.
I am so sorry that all of this is very random. However, I think you should be able to see a better picture in your head of what we see and do here. We take many pictures everyday, so we will have lots to share when we return.
May you ponder how much Jesus means to you today!
Stephanie

3 comments:
Wow! You are having quite a ministry! Thank you so much for finding the time to post while you're over there. It really helps us to pray appropriately. And thank you for my Birthday card! I can't believe you thought of that in the preparations of your trip! It was very sweet! I'm glad you like babies because I'm going to have another one! I just found out that I'm five weeks pregnant! I'll be posting it on my blog after Sunday, so the church will be surprised. I did tell Dan and Sara and Edi though! :) I love you and am praying for you!
Stephanie and Ryan, What a trully amazing experience you are having. Your hubby may be Medic material,Stephanie. That would be something else to add to your wonderful goals. Today I praise the Lord because I was almost hit head on by a big pick-up truck on our road,near Mary Bialy's house. I came over the crest of the hill and there he was in my lane. I swerved and thankfully there was no telephine pole,etc in my way. Jesus watches over you in Togo and Dad and I in Freedom. Keep the posts comng,we are fasinated. Love Pa and Mom PS: Josh Spaulding is getting married next Sat and our neighbor,Gary Schwab died last week in a type of farming accident.I think he was Catholic. Hugs from across the ocean
Thank you for the updates. I had not checked in awhile, and I really enjoyed reading them tonight. Thank you also for our postcard. It is inspiring to read about the experiences you are having and all the confirmations of this specific calling of your lives.
Post a Comment