Sunday, July 8, 2007

Togo--post 5

Dear Friends,

Week 3 is already complete and we are half way through our time here. Today we went on a hike up the mountain to visit a church at the very top. I found every last sweat gland and am glad to announce to you that they all work,... very well. The entire hike was up hill and it took us one hour and fifteen minutes. I don't think I have EVER climbed a mountain so difficult. By the time we finally got to the church I'm sure you could have wrung our shirts out. The service was, well, not in English, which makes me wish we could still speak in tongues, or at least understand them. There were a lot more people at this church than at the first church we visited. This time we recognized some of the songs and were able to attempt to sing them with them. There was also a baby dedication. Here the family has to state how they plan to raise their child to honor the Lord. Through two translators I caught that the woman dedicating her little girl today said that she hoped to raise her daughter to come to know Jesus at a young age. Many of the believers here are first generation believers so it's neat to see this mother want to raise up a second generation to love the Lord.

Tomorrow, I will meet a little five year old deaf girl and attempt to communicate with her. There are two languages I need to learn before I come back here. I need to learn sign language fluently and also French. This language barrier stuff can really get on one's nerves, although some of the gentlemen can speak English fairly well. As a matter of fact, many of the Togolese put Americans to shame speaking 3 and 4 languages! Here I sit, speaking only one.

I'm sorry to write so little. When I sit down to the computer to write to you I am overwhelmed with all there is to share and I really can't remember what I already have shared.

Until next time,
Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Stephanie, We give you lots of credit for hiking uphill so far, in the heat to attend church. All your posts sound so positive. That tells us you like it there.Please tell us more as we are very interested in what you are doing in Togo. God bless you and watch over you, Dad and mom