Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Contentment?

So I've been struggling with what to write next because I know that we just sent out our prayer letters and I'll have an audience. This makes me kinda seize up to be honest with you. So that's exactly what I'm going to do... be honest.

Contentment. For as long as I can remember I have struggled with contentment. It's almost a dreaded word. When I was four I wanted to be five. When I was in 1st grade I wanted to be in 2nd grade. When I was in middle school I wanted to be in high school. In high school I wanted to be out of school. In college I wanted to be married. Now I'm married,... :). Ultimately, I just want to be in heaven. Jesus promises I'll be content there. Hallelujah!!! However, that doesn't solve the problem now. Yikes! That sounded like the little girl from Charlie in the Chocolate Factory when the bratty girl says, "but daddy, I want a goose that lays a golden egg NOW!" However, it's all a part of our groaning for the Day when Christ rules as King of the earth! As a cool musician I know sings, "and may He come soon!"

In the mean time, may I learn to be like Paul who said from a jail cell in Philippians 4:11, "for I have learned that whatever state I am, to be content." May I be completely at rest with where God has me right now. Jesus said, "Come after me all you who are weak and heavy laden and I will give you rest." Lord, help me to search only after You for peace, rest, and contentment.

1 comment:

God Made Playdough said...

Thanks for this post! I appriciate your honesty! I've been reading a good book on contentment, called "Calm My Anxious Heart", by Linda Dillow. It's really been helping me! Love you!