Merry Christmas! Thank the Lord we still have a season worth celebrating.
Remember Christmas? Remember waking up early on Christmas morning, sneaking out to the smell of the fresh pine Christmas tree, crawling under the tree to turn the lights on, and waiting ever so impatiently for your parents to wake up? Remember the Christmas program with the manger and the little biblically incorrect blue eyed baby doll. Remember the angel costumes with the itchy garland halos (if you're blond that was likely your costume every year when you really wanted to be Mary)?
What is Christmas all about? Certainly, we know what the holidays are all about. Presents of course. Let's just be honest. Why else would all the stores have so many sales and why is the traffic around the mall so awful this time of year? Presents. The world tries to fool itself by saying that it's all about spending time with family, but that point is not well argued at all. Haven't you heard the commercial about how much of a drag it is to "have to go see the in-laws?" Don't give me holidays. I don't want any part of such a contradictory holiday.
Remember the name? Remember Jesus? Remember? Often times I don't. It's very easy to get caught up in the commercialism of the season. I catch myself evaluating every commercial to see if what they're advertising is really what I want for Christmas. Could I ask for that and not hurt the budget too badly? What I remember is that December 25th is called Christmas, but in all this craziness about Christmas being called anything other than Christmas, I have been reminded that I have a reason for celebrating Christmas as Christmas. I celebrate a Savior who is worth far more than my temporary, covetous wants. He's worth far more than just His birthday. For unto us is born this day,... a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. A Savior. A self sacrificing, all powerful, loving-above-all-other-loves, Savior Jesus Christ. The Savior who died for me. I have been saved for years and I still can't grasp the fact that Jesus died for me. Knowing that I remain safely in His arms, I still long to hug Jesus. Say the name again and remember it this Christmas.
Jesus.
Monday, November 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Great reminder! Thanks!
Hi Stephanie, What a great and timely reminder of what Christmas is really all about. I might have to use this as an illusration if you don't mind. Let me know. Hope all is going well for you guys. When will we see you guys? Let us know how we can pray. We love you, Pastor Dad and Mom
You, Pastor Dad, are always welcome. Though it's a little humbling.
We're doing fine. I'm trying to write another prayer letter, but there's so much to tell it's almost impossible to keep it to one page. I just want people who read our letters to know how truly wonderful our time in Togo was. It really breaks my heart to be away.
You could pray for Ryan's family. His grandpa, Christian, has been very sick for about a month. He's very discouraged and ready to give up, but day by day he gets a little bit better and then a little bit worse. Ryan's family is obviously hurting, and it hurts to watch your spouse hurt. Chris recently made a profession of faith so I pray that when he dies he will be ready.
We are praying that you will see us next summer. Right now, it's just not a good idea to pay for airline tickets, but we definatly plan on showing our faces there next summer.
I was sick and had to stay home from church the week before Thanksgiving, so I took the opportunity to listen to two of your sermons on the book of Ephesians. I heard the first two and will go back and listen to the rest, but it's always good to go back to Valley to hear God's Word with your style. I can't say I hear 46 minute sermons often anymore. It's very refreshing. Have a wonderful week and let me know if you've read this comment.
Love Always, Stephanie
Steph, what a wonderful post! Thanks for your honesty and love for our Savior. Frank liked it so much, he put it in the Voice of the Valley; after reading it, I see why! Have a wonderful CHRISTmas!
(Amy's) Ryan
Not that I'm demanding a Christmas letter or anything, hehe, but this reminded me--I'm housesitting right now, and in between apts, so I'm using my parent's mailing address (if you still have that, if you ever need it). I'll email you later.
Merry Christmas!
Ashley N.
parents'*
(Still afraid of Mrs. McCarty's red pen after all these years!)
Post a Comment