Friday, March 14, 2014

March 2014

Shopping in the open market has become a bit easier. Last fall, if someone asked me a question I didn't understand, I responded in French, "I'm sorry, I only speak a little bit of French." Now, I understand the gist of what people are asking me and I can make simple requests. The problem is that after someone hears me say a thing or two they assume I understand everything and they get to rattling... That's when the nod and smile comes in and then my mind gets to drifting, "Oh no, they think I can understand them. No wait, just pay attention, concentrate, you can get this. Oh no, now I missed that last part giving myself a pep-talk. Pay attention. Please don't ask me a question. Please don't ask me a question. ...something about apples, just keep smiling." This is real life people! To be fair, Ryan understands A LOT more than I do, and I doubt his head thinks the same way mine does...

So on that note, we want to thank you for your prayers for us over the past quarter. Ryan and I passed the last set of A2 exams! Two trimesters down, two to go. We will begin B1-1 on Monday. We are told that we have completed the majority of the grammar and that this next trimester will focus on speaking and conversing more. We've learned a lot, but we still have a long way to go.

Update on language partners: In our last letter I mentioned that we were having troubles connecting with our language partners. It turns out that Ryan and I had to each get new language partners. This has been working out much better as I meet mine once a week and Ryan meets with his sometimes twice a week. Having language partners makes a huge difference in our progress and we are grateful to be benefactors of their ministry to us.

Leslie: Leslie has had some difficulties at school. It's hard to know exactly what is going on, but she has had some relationship issues with kids at school. Most of it has to do with communication. Being five, she still has to be reminded how to be kind and how to react to her friends with graciousness. Now add a language barrier between your friends and your teacher, and you've got issues. Our constant prayer is for wisdom. We need wisdom on how to talk about these things at home, how to train her from home, etc. So please pray that God will give us wisdom as parents and that Leslie will learn enough French to be able to communicate and be communicated to clearly at school.

Kids in general: The French get a lot of vacation time. We're not complaining. We've been out of school for the past two weeks and have had gorgeous weather to relax, recoup, and gear up for another trimester. The girls have been enjoying lots of time outside with temperatures in the upper 60's. We got AnnMarie a little strider bike and within days she was cruising around the courtyard like a pro. Leslie has been enjoying lots and lots of time in the sandbox with her friends.

Preparing for Togo: It's already just about time to send our container to Togo. Since we will be sharing our container with our teammates to save on money, and they are leaving for Togo in July, our container will be shipped, Lord willing, in May. This means that the final purchases for our life in Togo need to be made in the next few weeks. If you are interested in contributing with a bottle of shampoo, hand soap, a gas dryer, etc. please see our wishlist on Amazon.com. These things do not have to be purchased on Amazon, but the wishlist gives you an idea of the things we need to get. There are more details there as to brand names and levels of need, etc.

Togo Aviation: Great stuff is happening with our Togo Aviation Team. Last year, the engine for our airplane was sent back to the states for a much needed engine overhaul. Recently, a donor pledged to contribute $10,000 as a matching gift to the cost of overhaul. If we, as a team, are able to raise $10,000 more by the end of March, we'll be able to get the overhaul done. This is just one more necessary step in getting this aviation ministry "off the ground." There is quite a bit more fund raising necessary for this project. If you are interested in knowing more about our this ministry as well as the team go to www.togoaviation.com. There are also some fun weekly videos going up if you click on the "news" tab.

Praise the Lord that Dan Stoner has been given a clean bill of health as of January 22nd. We are thrilled that God has answered your and our prayers. The plan is for the Lairds to arrive in Togo in July and us and the Stoners to arrive in December. We've been counting down the time until we can all be together as a team!

Buczak Car: Fund raising for our vehicle in Togo continues. We are thankful for the families who have contributed toward our vehicle so far. We now have around $14,000 toward our car. Thanks to those who have generously given. We need about $13,000 more. For more information on our need for this car, please visit our blog or visit this blog post.

Summer Nanny: I thought I'd throw one more thing out there before I close this letter. This year, for the first three weeks of July, Ryan and I are planning to take a summer course here at our school. If you know of a young lady who might be interested in a little summer mission trip to France as a nanny, please direct them our way. Please also tell them that France is awesome and we have some adorable little girls who would love to host them. Thanks in advance!

As always, but not mundanely, thank you for your prayers, love, and support. Someday soon, we will all be with Jesus while He tells of all the things that were done for His glory. Our family will be loudly praising Jesus for what you do for us and soon, for the people of Togo as well. May our Lord bless the things that you put your hands to for His glory.

In Christ,
The Buczaks

No comments: