Friday, December 18, 2009

Snow For Me

I couldn’t contain my excitement as I sat on my barstool wolfing down the last of my dinner. Tonight was my first school Christmas program! My hair was already curled and sprayed. I wanted to have it held half up with a big red bow and my long blond hair flowing over my shoulders. My new Christmas dress was hanging nearby waiting for me. It was a red velvet dress with a matching red satin sash and little satin bows evenly spaced around the bottom edge. My tights were lacy white, and my shoes were black patent leather with black satin bows over the toes. They had a strap that could be over the top of my feet Mary Jane style or pivoted to the back behind my heel. I would wear them behind my heel so I could slip my feet right into them like my mommy did. These shoes clacked on the floor like Mommy’s too. Tonight I was going to be beautiful. Once I slipped that dress on I switched into ladylike mode. I sat real tall and moved as gracefully as I could.

When we finally arrived at the church our program would be presented in, I was taken to a quiet classroom somewhere away from the sanctuary. My teacher was there waiting for us. Her smile of approval flashed upon each of us as we entered the room. She was so pleased with us. It felt like forever before she finally had us line up at the door. We all knew exactly how we were to stand in line; we had rehearsed it several times earlier that day. As we followed Teacher out like little ducklings behind mama duck, I heard prelude music in the sanctuary. Butterflies welled up in my tummy and my smile grew. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my smile to go away. This was it!

We filed into our choir loft pews, my seat being about two or three rows from the front, and waited for our cue to sit down as rehearsed. I looked around the auditorium and spotted my parents. I waved and then quickly went back into ladylike mode sitting straight and folding my hands in my lap. When you’re six, your legs don’t quite fit adult made pews so my legs stuck out in front of me. It made for the perfect position for me to admire my attire once again and adjust what needed to be straightened.

The music started and I sang with gusto the songs that I had learned in the last several weeks. “Glo-ooo-ooo-ooo-oria in excelsis deo.” I didn’t know what an ex-chelsea’s deo was, but I loved the song. Then they passed out the bells. These were not your ordinary jingle bells, these were real bell shaped bells! Then we sang, “Come on ring those bells, light the Christmas tree. Jesus in the King, born to you and me! Come one ring those bells, everybody say, "Jesus we remember it's your birthday."” jingle jangling our bells to our hearts content all the time. Then the older sixth grade kids did a drama about Jesus being a sort of Christmas ornament who hung on a tree for us. I understood this well. I knew that Jesus died on that cross for me so that I wouldn’t have the face the penalty of death for my sins, and I was thankful to Him for coming to earth as a baby at Christmas. Our principle said a prayer, and then we were each given a small paper bag with some fruit, nuts, and the best, candy canes in them, and then dismissed to find our parents.

My Mom and Dad smiled big that night as they helped me put on my coat. Then as we turned to go to our car. I heard someone say something I’ve never forgotten, “You guys did so well, Jesus sent snow for you.” Sure enough, out those tall foyer windows, big fluffy flakes of snow were floating down. Already, enough snow had fallen to cover the ground with a blanket of soft white. I didn’t give it a second thought. I knew that Jesus had sent the snow for us, and I was thankful to Him for whispering “I love you” through the snow.

It’s been twenty years since that dazzling night. I remember the emotions I felt so well. It hit me as I was driving along the other day trying “get things done” that it might snow and a swell of excitement welled up inside me. This story came to mind because the emotion I briefly felt was the same emotion I felt that night. Then it occurred to me that Jesus still showers us with gifts like He did when we were children, but we just don’t tend to notice, or maybe believe they are from Him as easily. Oh, that I could have the faith of that six-year-old little girl after a Christmas program.

Lord, I know you love me today the same way you did “the little Stephanie.” Help me not to get so wrapped up in the adult world that I fail to notice the simple little things you do for me, your little girl, each day to show me that you love me and appreciate me. I love you Jesus.

2 comments:

Janice said...

This is very good Stephanie. You are very blessed with a wonderful talent. Not just a talent of being able to write but a talent of being able to tell the Gospel so beautifuly. May it snow on your Christmas for all the wonderful things you do for the Lord.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this! Made me cry! :) Great reminder of His love and the personableness of our relationship with Him!
(just realized I'm signed in as Ryan, but it's Amy! :) )