"but exhort (or encourage) one another daily, while it is called "Today," lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin."
This verse struck me this morning. I enjoy encouraging people. I don't think I really do it enough, but I'm afraid of doing it to the extent of flattery. However, if we as a church were to be encouraging one another to grow more, it seems that maybe the church wouldn't be so backsliden. I have a friend in NC who encouraged me to think more positively about people. She tries to find something to like in even the people who are hard to like. I would add to that that we should try to encourage people even when we find it hard to find things to encourage. Even a gentle smile is all it takes. After all, it is more encouraging than a hard glare.
So maybe we ought to take responsibility for the people in our churches who fall into sin. I'm thinking especially of the kids I grew up with. So many kids who grew up in the church are no longer in the church. Maybe they were the kids who were difficult to deal with. Don't you think they could have done much better if they were encouraged the right way rather than being constantly preceded by their reputation? Lets pray for those kids. Lets encourage those kids.
Lets reach out to the people who are discouraged lest their hearts be hardened and they fall into sin.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
well said. thanks for the reminder!
Post a Comment