Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Praise God He cares about cars

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law from Pray for Italy inspired me to post on what the Lord did for us and our new car just hours before Leslie was born. Here's the story:

At the beginning of my pregnancy I began asking the Lord for a better solution to our two-door little stick shift Ford Focus. A two-door car with a baby would be tricky and I wasn't looking forward to the task it would be to cart a car seat in and out of the car. Besides, I wondered if it would even fit.

I looked online at Kelley Blue Book to see what our car would be worth and if we could sell the car and have enough of a balance to buy another car with no payment. Blue Book valued our car at just about $6,200. This would only leave us a balance of about $2,000. Ryan and I talked about the possibility of selling the car, but the pieces never came together. For some reason, neither one of us felt right trying to sell the car. Ryan really liked the car. He had an emotional attachment to its funness.

We moved across the country and pulled the little silver bullet behind us all the way. By then I just resigned myself to the idea of keeping the car, but still secretly wished we had something bigger and more family friendly. End of discussion.

Well, October rolled around and on the night of the 17th we were hit by an uninsured motorist. (see this post) With just weeks before my due date, I was pretty freaked out about what we were going to do next. At first it looked like our insurance company was going to want to repair the car. "Great!" I thought, "Just do it before the baby comes." But then the insurance company decided to total the car and give us the money for it's worth. I wasn't thrilled about this because I knew how much the car was worth, or so I thought.

To make a long story short, the insurance company gave us $7,900 for the car, this due mostly to how well Ryan took care of the car. They gave us credit for things like the carpets being in like-new condition, new tires, etc. The money paid off our car loan and gave us $4,200 to buy another car. By now we had just one week before my due date. I was on the edge of my seat looking for a new car.

The Lord dropped the perfect car into our laps the very next day, Saturday, October 27th. It was a gold, 1999 Toyota Camry with less than 100k miles on it, a new timing belt, and in perfect condition. We were able to talk the seller down to $4,700 which meant that we only had to come up with $500 on our own (thank the Lord for Dave Ramsey and the "Emergency Fund"). That day we bought the car with the agreement that we could take the car to our mechanic and have it checked out. If it didn't pass my uncle's shop inspection, we would take it back and get our money back. Uncle Fred checked out the car on Monday, gave it a clean bill of health, and we were good to pick it up on Tuesday. That night, Leslie was born... in it!

When I see all the details of how the Lord made all of this come together for us, I am so thankful for, number 1, His humor about the whole thing, but also that way back when I started praying about it, He had it all figured out. Who woulda thunk it?

No comments: